Simple and easily made with standard pantry ingredients, this roasted tomato soup was a perfect accompaniment to the wonderful Beau’s bread, Cape Vessy and Blue Gouda grilled cheese sandwiches I whipped up.
1 28 oz can of Italian tomatoes
1/2 tbsp of flour
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp of butter
1 medium yellow onion chopped
1 tbsp of salt
1/2 cup of chicken broth
2 tbsp of olive oil
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- drain tomatoes through a strainer and keep the juices. place the tomatoes in a baking pan an drizzle with olive oil. place pan in oven and remove when edges of tomatoes begin to caramelize/blacken
- meanwhile, heat butter in pot over medium hot heat until butter begins to foam.
- add chopped onions and cook until they soften.
- add balsamic vinegar and scrap off the brown bits on the bottom of the pot.
- add flour, tomato juices and balsamic vinegar. bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- add roasted tomatoes and chicken broth, bringing to a boil and simmering for another 20 minutes
- the original recipe calls for pureeing, but I like my soup a bit chunky so I just crushed the tomatoes with my soup spoon while it was simmer
- continue to simmer until the desired thickness is reached.
- divide the soup into bowls an drizzle with some black truffle oil (this really brought out the tart taste of the balsamic)
a rich and hearty tomato soup for these cold winter days!