I’ve had these sauce packets that my parents had bought me the last time they had visited, Lee Kum Kee Menu Oriented Sauces, black bean to be exact, and I finally decided to crack one open and try one.
so I veered a bit from the recipe that was listed on the back, but here is my improvised, and I do think much improved, version.
4 boneless and skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
one medium onion chopped
1-2 tbsp of canola oil
1 packet of Lee Kum Kee Menu Oriented Black Bean Sauce
2 slices of peeled ginger
1 green onion, sliced lengthwise
- heat oil in a wok or pan on medium to high heat. once it reaches temperature, put the chicken bits in and stir fry it until browned
- remove the chicken and leave the grease and oil in
- add the red bell pepper, onion and ginger and sauté for a couple of minutes
- add the sauce and continue to stir fry for another minute
- add the chicken and stir fry until chicken is cooked through and peppers are tender.
- serve with green onion pieces garnished on top
It ended up being subtly flavored with the black bean sauce, so if you like your dish with a bit more flavor, add another packet when cooking.
it turned out so well, I surprised myself! It looked and tasted just as good as the ones in chinese restaurants.